Fuel Bill Problems and Complaints

If you think your fuel bill is incorrect or don’t understand how it is calculated or are having a problem making the payment, then you should contact your supplier.  However, if you then want to make a complaint and it’s not been resolved, then here are some bodies that can assist you.

  • First Port of Call – Your Supplier
  • Citizens Advice Consumer Service
  • Energy Ombudsman

First Port of Call – Your Supplier

If a problem arises with your fuel bill or you find yourself in arrears with your electricity and/or gas payments for any reason,  it’s important that you contact your supplier straight away – if they don’t know you’re struggling, they can’t help you.

  Advice Scotland Consumer Service               0808 164 6000 (remove the text NB Charges apply)

If you can’t resolve a problem with your supplier, then Citizens Advice Consumer Service can provide independent and impartial help and advice. It can also refer you to other useful organisations.  You can phone their helpline (but see their website for charges) or complete an enquiry form online.

From 1 April 2019 the consumer service in Scotland is being provided by Advice Direct Scotland. There is a new phone number and website. Webchat is also available on the website.

Energy Ombudsman                 0330 440 1624

If you have failed to reach an agreement with your fuel supplier, and the Advice Scotland Consumer Service have been unable to help resolve the situation, then your next port of call could be the Energy Ombudsman.

To contact the Ombudsman you must have exhausted your options with your fuel supplier.