Energy Trends and Quarterly Prices
The Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy (BEIS) produces regular reports on Energy Trends and Quarterly Prices. These provide information about the price of domestic fuels, including average domestic fuel bills broken down by fuel type and payment method.
These reports are available to download from BEIS. These figures below represent UK figures. Specific Scottish figures which are produced annually are also available below .
Quarterly energy prices for June 2017  show the following:
For the UK:
- The price paid for all domestic fuels in real terms has fallen by 2.5% in the year to Quarter 1 2017. Between Q1 2016 and Q1 2017, real terms prices including VAT for domestic electricity fell by 2.2% and domestic gas prices fell by 6.0%.
- The average 2016 standard electricity bill across all payment types has increased by £2 (0.4%) since 2015, to £586. Meanwhile, the average 2016 gas bill across all payment types has decreased by £63 (8.9%) since 2015, to £650. These bills are based on standard consumptions of 3,800kWh per year for electricity and 15,000kWh per year for gas.
- The number of domestic supplier switches increased in Q1 2017 compared to Q1 2016. The total number of electricity transfers increased by 13% on the same period in the previous year. Gas transfers increased by 7.7% on the same period in the previous year.
- The average annual domestic standard gas bill for 2016 decreased for Direct Debit by £69 to £558, whilst Standard Credit and Prepayment bills both decreased by £56 (£635) and £47 (£642) respectively, resulting in an average of £612 across all payment types in real terms.
- The average annual domestic standard electricity bill in Scotland for 2016 increased for Direct Debit by £1 to £513, while average Standard Credit and Prepayment bills increased by £12 (£575) and £13 (£571) respectively. This results in an average annual electricity bill of £553 across all payment types in real terms.
More information is available by contacting the Energy Prices Analysis Team in DECC. For household energy prices, the current contact is Liz Vincent on 0300 068 5162 or Elizabeth.email@example.com
 Quarterly Energy Prices, June 2017, BEIS and Office for National Statistics
 Annual Domestic Energy Bills, June 2017, BEIS and Office for National Statistics